Wednesday, August 5, 2015

'' Fond memories of my child hood ''[28 ]

‘’ Fond memories of my child hood ‘’ [ 28 ]
At times  my dad  went into the dense forest with a few of his selective  friends for hunting.Pottanammachen was the one who made all the arrangements like food drinking water,head light,swatter muffler boots  etc
And he also accompanied them. They used to go for hunting by evening andcame back by next morning with the shot dead animals like big jungle squrrels, or deer or sheep and all.Then Pottanammachen and sreedharan started   dressing ,cleaning ,and cutting them up and cooking .By evening dad’s friends with whom he went for hunting  gathered in our house  to enjoy a dinner with white kerosin [for liquer Pottanammachen used to tell us that it is white kerosin.During the war time  the kerosin  we get was not clear,had a slight reddish colour.]As life was going on ike this the x’mas vacation came to an end and we proceeded to nangiarkulangara.
One of my aunties in cochin  had a fever and it prolonged for  more than a month.In the end Drs digonised that she had TB and adviced her to go to Madrass to get proper treatment. After a course of treatment she was adviced to go to Nagarcoil TB centre for further care and medication. Uncle took her with  her younger sister to Nagarcoil took a small house on rent near the TB hospital and continude the treatment.My mother and her sisters were so attached and my mom went to Nagarcoil for afew days to help them. 
Dad came away to the estate leaving mum there.
By the time our school closed for the mid summer vacation and my sister
Brother and myself came to Bharatheepuram. We reached home by the late evening and saw dad lying down  fully covered with a blanket and shivering.
He was having  a very high temperature and Pttanammachen had gone to Punalure to get medicine for him. Through out the night my sister and
Pottanammachen were nursing him ,but his illness became worse. Early morning Pottanammachen hired a car and with the help of Sreedharan ,
driver and my sister ,somehow shifted him to the car and drove on.My youngest sister ,brother,and myself were so worried and were waiting for them.Towards the evening  some how the news reached home that
Dad passed away.Within seconds the house and the courtyard was crowded
With people crying and howling and I joined them,but at that moment I was tottaly ignorant ,of the depth of the loss.By midnight somebody brought my mom  without
revealing the sad news to her.At the first sight she fainted ,and the people around carried her to her room.The funeral was on the next day in presence of
a big crowed.He was creamated at a distance but we could see the flame and smoke from home.For a few days  the house and surroundings were full of
people , relatives and friends coming and going like a stream.There was a big function on the sixteenth day of  demise.A big pandal was errected in t he
 courtyard and there was a feast ,After that the crowd were dispersed,then we, my mom my sisters brothers and me were left alone, we could very well feel the depth of our loss….a house …without a master …no one to take a decision….no one to direct us…no one to care for us….no one to manage the estate.


No comments:

Post a Comment